Categorization Process and Application
The Spring 2017 Student Group Categorization and Re-Categorization applications will be open from February 5th to March 5th.
Click here to download the Student Group Info Session Powerpoint!
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Please visit brown.edu/bearsync for the official list of UCS recognized student groups.
You can access the new student group categorization application by going to BearSync, clicking on "Browse Organizations" and then "Register New Organization," or you can use this link after the application opens on February 5th. See below for instructions on how to access the re-categorization application.
Note: The BearSync application does not save your work. We suggest that you draft your answers in a separate document before submitting them to BearSync.
How to create a new student group:
1. Draft group constitution: Click here for a sample constitution. The constitution should include the following:
- Name of the organization
- Statement of purpose: include nature of departmental, administrative, legal, religious, political, or financial affiliations without which the organization would not exist
- Description of membership: must include 1) verbatim the non-discrimination statement on the sample constitution, and 2) a statement requiring majority membership consisting of full-time undergraduate Brown students
- Description of structure of leadership: officers must be currently enrolled full-time undergraduate Brown students.
- Election of Officers (where applicable)
- Organizational financial responsibilities
- Description of duties of official advisor (where applicable)
- Amendment procedure: must include verbatim the UCS amendment statement written in the above sample constitution format
- The Category’s required number of member signatures: members must be currently enrolled full time undergraduate Brown students
2. Obtain required number of member signatures
- At least 10 signatures for Category S and I groups
- At least 15 signatures for Category II and III groups
3. Complete the categorization application: attach constitution and member signatures when submitting completed app
4. Meet with assigned UCS Student Activities Committee Representative: SA reps are a resource to help you with the application process and answer any questions. Please bring your completed application and constitution with you when meeting with your SA Rep.
IMPORTANT: SA Reps must be contacted at least a week before the application deadline to set up a meeting. Applications are considered incomplete if the group leader does not meet with a SA rep!
2016-2017 SA Representatives
Student Activities Chair
How to re-categorize an existing student group
moving from CAT I to CAT II or CAT II to CAT III status
*existing organization UCS Re-Categorization must apply via a different form on BearSync than new groups*
In addition to e-mailing a constitution and membership roster to your organization type's corresponding UCS representative, all existing organizations that wish to be re-categorized must complete an application on BearSync.
Follow this step-by-step guide to access the Fall 2016 UCS Re-Categorization Application:
1. Log-in to BearSync and navigate to your organization's portal (click "My Memberships" and select your group's page).
2. Click on the "Forms" tab in the horizontal menu bar.
3. Complete the categorization application: attach constitution and member signatures. Do not submit your application until after meeting with your Student Activities representative.
4. Meet with assigned UCS Student Activities Committee Representative: SA reps are a resource to help you with the application process and answer any questions. Once you have met with your representative, you should submit the application.
IMPORTANT: Applications are considered incomplete if the group leader does not meet with a SA rep!
When applying for re-categorization, please make sure your group has fulfilled the eligible time requirement. Groups must wait one full semester of being in effect before moving to the next category. For example, if a group applied for categorization as a category I group in Fall 2015 semester, the group’s CAT I status takes effect in the following Spring 2016 semester. Therefore, the group is eligible to apply for re-categorization of CAT II status in Fall 2016 semester.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Groups will be notified their decisions after being reviewed and approved by both the UCS Student Activities Committee and UCS General Body.
Appeals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 days of the date when the original decision is sent out. It must include a written request and reasons for the appeal. The group will have a hearing with the UCS Student Activities Committee within 14 days after the appeal is received.