Creating a New Student Group
The Fall 2017 Student Group Categorization application will be open from September 27 to October 22
Step 1. Draft group constitution: Click here for a sample constitution. The constitution should include the following:
- Name of the organization
- Statement of purpose: include nature of departmental, administrative, legal, religious, political, or financial affiliations without which the organization would not exist
- Description of membership: must include 1) verbatim the non-discrimination statement on the sample constitution, and 2) a statement requiring majority membership consisting of full-time undergraduate Brown students
- Description of structure of leadership: officers must be currently enrolled full-time undergraduate Brown students.
- Election of Officers (where applicable)
- Organizational financial responsibilities
- Description of duties of official advisor (where applicable)
- Amendment procedure: must include verbatim the UCS amendment statement written in the above sample constitution format
- The Category’s required number of member signatures: members must be currently enrolled full time undergraduate Brown students
Step 2. Obtain at least 10 member signatures
Please include members’ full name, class year, and email on the signature sheet
Step 3. Complete the categorization application: attach constitution and member signatures when submitting completed app. You can access the new student group categorization application by going to BearSync, clicking on "Browse Organizations" and then "Register New Organization," or you can use this link after the application opens.
Note: The BearSync application does not save your work. We suggest that you draft your answers in a separate document before submitting them to BearSync.
Step 4. Meet with assigned UCS Student Activities Committee Representative: SA reps (below) are a resource to help you with the application process and answer any questions. Please bring or email your completed application and constitution with you when meeting with your SA Rep.
2017-2018 SA Representatives
Student Activities Chair
Academic and Professional
Campus Resources and Recreational
Gender and Sexuality
Political and Social Action
Residential and Greek
Arts and Performance
Cultural and Ethnic
Media and Publications
Religious and Spirituality
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Groups will be notified their decisions after being reviewed and approved by both the UCS Student Activities Committee and UCS General Body.
Appeals should be submitted to email@example.com within 7 days of the date when the original decision is sent out. It must include a written request and reasons for the appeal. The group will have a hearing with the UCS Student Activities Committee within 14 days after the appeal is received.